Sunday, November 13, 2011

Can someone explain "Have no friends not equal to yourself" from Confucius?

The only explainations I can come up with don't seem pleasant enough to come from Confucius...





Much appreciated!|||I believe he mean that you shouldn't look down on others. Consider everyone your equal, in other words.|||Yes, I agree w/the other 2 previous posts, and doesn't it sound a like like the Bible's verse:





Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?


[2 Corinthians 6:14/KJV]





Is there something to it?





I do not consider myself Christian, but I do believe all Holy Book along w/Confucius have a lot to teach everyone.|||Don't let others bring you down from your level.|||I like Melly's answer. Almost like the Golden rule of doing unto others...|||Don't hang with low life's, unless you are a low life youself!|||As an extreme, think of Ogden Nash's poem on Beantown: "home of the cabbage and cod; where the Lodge's speak only to Cabot's; and the Cabot's speak only to God."


Don't think this is what Confucius meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment